Monday, September 25, 2006

two (whoops! now three) random thoughts

On travel

This is where I’ve traveled to in the states…

and around the world:

create your own visited states map
create your own visited countries map

Now you might even know where I’ve been on the web. Also, it looks like I need to get out of the country a little more.

On Travel (Pt. II)

You must read this charming article by Seth Stevenson in Slate. It’s over a year old, but a feature article on The Netherlands and highlights interesting and amusing thoughts on (among other things) gezellig and legalized weed at the “cutest little marijuana mart you’ll ever see.”

And now, I too must ruminate on the possibilities of moving to Amsterdam.

On A Prairie Home Companion:

I haven’t been on their website in a while, but they have this thing called Post to the Host. Am I a total dork that I found the following funny?


Dear Mr. Keillor,
Why is it that people react so weird when I laugh at my own humor? Some have even mentioned that I laugh at my own jokes and make negative remarks. What does this say about me and them?

Sincerely,
Doug M.
Bovey MN

Don’t beat yourself up, Doug. Some jokes are so good you can’t help but laugh at them. The same exact thing happens to me all the time. For example—-

Knock knock.

Who’s there?

Eskimo.

Eskimo who?

I tell that joke and I am breaking up by that point and unable to finish it. In fact, I’ve never finished it. Now that I think of it, I don’t remember what the punchline is. It must be hilarious, whatever it is, because it destroys me every time.

Don’t you just love Garrison Keillor?

No comments: