Monday, December 31, 2007

the last day

of 2007 was spent thusly:

Driving up, up and more up to Alta Dena for a hike.


We passed an interesting looking camper while looking for the trail head.


Once there, we consulted the map for the route. We were headed to Dawn Mine. It's sort of been this unattained goal for the last... oh... 7 years. Sigh.


Taking a moment to admire my new hiking boots (I like that they call this color: Spice).


Already up so high, we just kept climbing higher and higher...


Stopping a moment (one of many stops for me) to admire our view.


Self portrait 1.


Self portrait 2. (dear god, but was I tired!)


A mysterious city on the horizon.


I can't believe how beautiful L.A.'s skyline can look.


Leaving the trails, we turned back and noticed that the mountains were pink.


We drove down to Old Town Pasadena in search of dinner and remembered that it was new year's eve. The parade watchers were starting to line up.


These determined folks will be here all night (at this point, it was about 4:30 pm) waiting for the parade to pass their rock star seats the following morning. I hope they brought enough hot cocoa.


We opted instead for barbeque.


If it's got a giant rooster out front, it must be okay right?


The kind of place where you can throw the peanut shells on the floor.


And wash up in a tub if the sauce got out of hand.


And served up cold beer in a mason jar (Shiner Bock, in case you were wondering, which I highly recommend).

Darn. I forgot to take a photo of the food. We were so hungry we just dug in. Pulled pork sandwich for me and baby back ribs for m.

Then home for showers, a little bubbly and a little cozy sitting on the couch to ring in the new year.

Happy new year!

No comments: