Thursday, March 20, 2008

Caroline Hwang

I love Caroline Hwang.

Where did I first see her work? I can't remember, but I was intrigued. And when she had an opening in town, I drove all the way over to downtown L.A. to see her work close up. It's so cool to be able to see each stitch and frayed edge of fabric. If you have an opportunity to do so, I highly recommend it as her work speaks volumes in person (so to speak).

And though I am not in the market for collecting art, she is having a sale. I'll just pass along that info to you dear readers.

I found out about Caroline years ago, before I discovered the wonderful world of craft blogs, before I knew how strong our community of knitters and quilters and crafters were. Back when I would secretly buy copies of Martha Stewart Living and drool over her Good Things section. Back when I was in design school desperately trying to come up with cool edgy design ideas to compete with the 20 year olds (a classmate overheard her art director saying how he'd never hire anyone over 30. Sheesh!). I've always enjoyed making things but sort of kept my knitting, crocheting and sewing skills on the down-low cause that's just not hip. And then there was Caroline who was so hip and she sewed and made edgy art and dude, that was so affirming. What an inspiration! And that led me to craft blogs and finding out that there are folks out there being cool and hip and relevant (and more importantly: having fun) with their mad quilting, knitting and crocheting skills.

Now as I stand, firmly in my 30s the cool factor isn't so much of a factor (you should see what I wear to the market). I really enjoy making things. And I enjoy seeing old traditions like quilting and sewing interpreted into fine art.

All images via http://www.carolinehwangillustration.com/

No comments: