Tuesday, April 22, 2008

here it is

So this has been bugging me all day and now I need to get it off of my chest.

If you ever say VoilĂ  as an American English speaker, please note that there is a V at the beginning of the word and not a W.

Here's an audio example of how to correctly pronounce this word (look for this audio link partway down the page).

Though if you want to be a really anal retentive linguistics nerd, this isn't absolutely correct either for nit-picky reasons like midi files not correctly capturing the tension of the accent at the right moment. But it'll do. Just remember that voila is pronounced with a V not a W. Unless perhaps you are from Austria or Germany and you are speaking English but for that one word. Then I have no reason to correct you. Really I suppose I have no reason to correct you regardless, but that's my problem.

Please carry on with your lives.
Thank you.

No comments: