Wednesday, May 21, 2008

this is my kind of ritual

The last time I was up in the city (that's how you refer to San Francisco as a local of the bay area), my friend Nathan took me to a coffee house called Ritual. It wasn't morning rush hour, nor post lunch, but the place was bustling. Damn, I thought, these folks must make a fine cuppa joe. They do.

Fast-forward to this afternoon. I'm sitting in my office (also known as the living room) doing some research on online coffee resellers and I remember to look up Ritual. Shazam. I am blown away by their website.

The images are beautiful and grounded (real people, not models). They layout is smart and intuitive heavy on the mood and not a lot of blah blah blah. And I love that logo. Coffee for the people, of the people, by the people. (Okay, I'm a sucker for Russian Constructivist imagery though, what can I say?)

Love this image for their "story" page. Without being trite or obvious, these guys came up with imagery that invokes their community (San Francisco) and what they're about (note the scale of the coffee cup against the Golden Gate Bridge's background).

Love also how the logo placement looks like it could be part of the photograph.
And the glimmer of it in red ink on the cup, but just a little cropped out.
And how the body copy can be minimized to enjoy the photography.
Nicely done! (oh, and good coffee too)

Ritual Coffee Roasters
1026 Valencia Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
(415) 641-1024

No comments: