Tuesday, August 26, 2008

simple suppers

We had company over for dinner yesterday. I say this with a laugh because it was Janet and she's hardly "company" anymore. She was with me at the market when I was picking up dinner fixin's and when I asked her if she would stay for dinner she said no. But then she ended up changing her mind and joining us after all. It was just supposed to be a simple meal of salmon with some green beans (they looked good and the store carried the organic version) and potatoes. Somehow it ended up looking tasty and tasting far more elegant than I'd planned. A fabulous meal worthy of special company, or good friends who are no less special. I take no credit for this amazing meal, it was all to do with the fabulous ingredients I got to work with.

Our meal consisted of:
Baked wild salmon over lemons and fresh dill (with a splash of dry white wine).
A simple tomato salad that I added chick peas and lettuce to. Also half a cubed avocado which made the dressing go a little creamier. Mmmm....
Basic russet potatoes boiled till done and dressed with a pat of butter, salt, pepper and a sprinkle of fresh chopped up dill.
Organic green beans that I meant to make up per my usual recipe of beans+sauteed tomatoes+onions+chicken stock until I realized that I used up the only tomato in the house for the salad.

While I was trying to figure out how to doctor the beans, they cooked up perfectly as the onions carmelized. I didn't even have to reach for the salt and pepper. They were that good just dressed in a little olive oil and carmelized-onion-love. I did add some toasted slivered almonds for a little crunch.

I must have used up all my cooking mojo on last night's supper because tonight, the best we could manage was to order in a pizza.

No comments: