Friday, September 19, 2008

it's not like I'd understood, anyways

Whew! What's with me and the cheezy post titles today?

Anyways. I was supposed to read this book of short stories by Jim Shepard for my online book club. I gave up halfway through. I just couldn't get into it. I'm not sure if it's his writing style that didn't speak to me, the subject matter(s), the use of the first person singular for every story, or maybe I'm just not that smart (lots of smart sounding people gave it great reviews). I just didn't get it. However, I am completely fine with not liking it and not finishing it.


As I mentioned previously, I did appreciate the cover design (sort of makes me wish I did like the book because this would look great blown up and framed as a poster). The designer/art director who came up with this concept is a genius as far as I'm concerned. I'm not buying books anymore these days, but if I were and I happened to be in a bookstore, I think I would probably pick this one up and seriously consider a purchase. Just based on the graphic design alone. I'm sure others have been similarly dazzled/duped into buying this book. What an awful lot of tricksters those designers are.

No comments: