Sunday, January 11, 2009

Joshua Tree

M and I took a drive down to Joshua Tree National Park yesterday. It's something we've always talked about doing, but never got around to. Until now!

The drive eastward over the 10 freeway was pretty boring having been on that road before. It was a bit gusty too, but things got a little more interesting when we tipped upward on the 29 Palms highway.

The mountains got rockier and there were Joshua Trees as far as the eye could see. I love the freaky Dr. Seuss-like shapes of these trees.

Since we got off to a late start leaving L.A. we were only able to do two short hikes. But that's my favorite time of day to snap photos outdoors. The lighting just can't be beat.


As we headed back to our car, I turned and saw the moon coming up. I pointed it out to m and we stood in awe of the strange dusky light, the crazy sculptural joshua trees and that beautiful moon. It pains me how meager this photo looks in comparison to what we saw. My puny camera and my puny photographic skills would never have been able to capture the awe.

This is definitely a place that we'll have to come back to.

Tons more photos here.

No comments: