Tuesday, September 1, 2009

pork chop not

Sunday's dinner:

Boneless pork loin chops that I filleted open and flat only to roll closed again with a strip of proscuitto tucked inside. Seared and then baked to cook through. Served with a reduction sauce of sorts of vermouth, dried cranberries, garlic and parsley. I had this idea to truss the chops after I rolled them in the proscuitto. Then when time came round to it, I got lazy and passed on the idea only to scramble to do it in the end (the chops unrolled as I was searing them on each side. Predictable).

I served the chops with my usual green beans dish with beans from the garden at my work. Normally I think that I serve up a pretty fair dish of green beans, but with garden fresh ingredients those beans were out of this world! I'll include the quick and simple recipe below but really I can't imagine it's worth it anymore until I get to have a garden and plant beans to cook with.

Quick and Easy Greek (?) Green Beans
(I actually copied this recipe from a former professor back when I was in undergrad. It was from an ancient greek language class and the professor graciously invited our class over to her place for a greek inspired meal. She served lamb and these beans and probably something else but I was a vegetarian at the time and just remember the beans. She served them with crumbled feta and toasted walnuts at the end but I've since omitted these ingredients from my recipe. I still add them from time to time, but only when I remember to.)

1 lb of fresh green beans with the ends trimmed
1 medium sized tomato rough chopped
1 large clove of garlic minced
1 smallish-medium onion cut up into strips
1 tsp of better than boullion chicken stock or one cup of stock
2 tbsp of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

In a large skillet combine all the ingredients and cover over high heat. When the garlic starts to sizzle give the beans a good stir to combine all the ingredients and turn the heat down to medium low. Keep covered for another 15 minutes until the beans are tender and leave uncovered for another 5 minutes to let the stock reduce. If using better than boullion chicken stock cook the beans covered for 20 minutes or thereabouts till they are tender. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve hot.

For the original version, I'd add the feta and toasted walnuts just before serving. About 1/2 cup each of crumbled feta and walnuts.

No comments: