Monday, December 21, 2009

can I get an "amen?"

Yesterday for lunch M and I went to Wilson's BBQ. It was awesome.

We heard about it from that show on the Food Network Diners Drive-Ins and Dives (I could watch this show all day). And how convenient that it's just a few towns over from where we live. Convenient? Or dangerous??

This was our third trip to Wilson's. The first time we got there at 6pm on a Saturday night and there was a line out the door. Granted the place is tiny. Just a handful of places to sit. I'm guessing that the outdoor patio gets better use when it's not 35 degrees outside with a refreshing wintry breeze to boot. When M and I finally made it into the joint we overheard the cashier mention that they were all out of beef and pork. What? What's the point? Sadly M and I turned around and went back to our car to figure out what to do about dinner.

The second time we went to Wilson's we got there at 4:40 or 5pm (they're only open Thursdays through Sundays from 11:30am to close - whatever that means) and managed to squeeze in and secure two stools at the bar. We ordered pulled pork sandwiches and fell in love with eastern Carolina bbq.

I mean, damn.

Can I get an "amen?"

The pork is tender and juicy.

They include this awesome slaw in the sandwich which acts as the perfect crunchy, tart counterpoint (NB: the slaw doesn't have the traditional creamy dressing.)

And it comes with a side of potato salad and pickles. The pickles were also awesome.

Sorry for the blurry photos, but I wanted to get a shot of this. It was meant to be focused on the bottle of sauce. Not the local soda. This sauce is boss.




When we went back yesterday, we ordered the pulled pork sandwiches again. I mean why mess with a good thing, right?

No comments: