Monday, November 27, 2006

November come and nearly gone

Gosh. I feel like this month has just whizzed by! It is now (quite legitimately) the holiday shopping season. I enjoy writing and I often have these ongoing inner narrative going about what I want to blog about. But by the time I get to my computer I have lost the zest for the whole thing and am reduced to just lists. Let’s give it a go and see how it turns out.

THANKSGIVING
That was fun. We ate at janet and eric’s. Janet’s 80-something year old grandma was there. We bonded over knitting and watched really crappy t.v. I made the sour cream apple pie that I kept reading about in all those crafty blogs and also some caramel sauce. I wanted warmed apple tarts a la mode with gooey caramel sauce drizzled over it and man was that GOOD. Janet’s first ever turkey was fabbo! She was nervous over it but her nervousness was unnecessary. I’m worried that one day the link to the caramel sauce won’t work any more along with my memory of the ingredients and method. So I’m going to set it down here for safe keeping:

Caramel Sauce
Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.

Ingredients
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream

Preparation
In a heavy skillet cook the sugar over moderately high heat, stirring constantly with a fork, until it is melted completely and turns a deep golden caramel. Remove the skillet from the heat, stir the caramel to prevent further darkening, and pour the cream into the side of the skillet carefully (the caramel will harden when the cream is added). Add 2 tablespoons water and cook the caramel mixture over moderate heat, stirring, until the caramel is dissolved. Let the sauce cool to warm.

Makes about 1/2 cup.

MOVIES
Lots of movies.


There was a double feature on Friday night at the New Beverly Cinema Theatre. Good pairing. I’d forgotten what a good film Casablanca is. Lots of funny and sharp dialogue. The Good German isn’t out yet (I think) but you should all go out and watch it. It’s very, very good.

Also watched:

Which was sadly, not as good. But still enjoyable and fun to pick apart afterwards with your Bond-snubbing husband.

And a few weekends ago we also saw this side-splittingly funny flick:

I recommend it highly. Not only did I scream (and I do mean SCREAM) with laughter, but there were also astonishing moments of poignance and heartwarming-ness. Go see it. Really.


And wow, was I really surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie. M thought there were some structural problems with the writing which I guess I kind of agree with. But over all it was incredibly entertaining, sweet and thoroughly enjoyable. Not since A Squid and A Whale* have I uttered words which I thought would never escape my lips: Wow. That Will Ferrell is ADORABLE!

*My shocking utterance after this film was: Wow. That Jeff Daniels is an AMAZING actor.

BIRTHDAYS
As in the ones I forgot to give shout-outs for… My buddy stacyM had a birthday first, then m, then H. They are very special and dear to me and deserve their own special post wherein I extoll their virtues and wondrousness, but sadly, I dropped the ball on that one. If I can get my act together, I really ought to do something about this.

CLEANING AND MOVING
There’s been a lot of cleaning up and editing out of stuff around the c+potion household. It feels good. I have always been a pack-rat, but am trying to let go off all the baggage (literally) that I have been lugging around for the past 5 years or so. We are embracing the concept of smaller living spaces inspired by a New York couple and their newborn in their 250 square foot (23.22 metres carre) Manhattan apartment. It’s pretty astonishing though inspiring. We’re currently drooling over a condo in Boston’s North End that is just barely larger at 388 square feet (36.04 metres carre). (Those of you who have been to the North End will probably remember it for its famed canolli’s. )

And now it’s the end of the day and I get to go home. ‘Night y’all.

No comments: