Monday, January 7, 2008

hot chai

I can't stop making and drinking hot chai. I found the recipe at Epicurious.com but made a few adjustments to my liking.

Jean's Homemade Chai
1-inch piece fresh ginger, cut into thin rounds
2 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoons black peppercorns
10 whole cloves
6 green cardamom pods
6 cups cold water
6 bags of black tea (preferably Darjeeling)
3 cups milk (I used organic 1% lowfat)
2/3 cup (packed) brown sugar

Serves about 8 cups.

Combine first 5 ingredients in medium saucepan. Add 6 cups water; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover pan, and simmer gently 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add tea bags and steep 5 minutes or longer for stronger tea if so desired. Discard tea bags. Add milk and sugar. Bring tea just to simmer over high heat, whisking until sugar dissolves. Strain chai into teapot and serve hot.

If you'd like, you can lightly crush or bruise spices using mallet or back of large spoon. I did this the first time but it was a little too spicy. But then again, I boiled it far too long and had twice the ginger. I think following the recipe's suggestion for the boiling/simmering times is key.

I've been making a pitcher of this at a time keeping it in the fridge and warming up a cup at a time.

I like my chai a little spicy and pretty sweet (kind of like a spicier take on Oregon Chai) so if you prefer less sweet chai, add only 1/4 packed cup of brown sugar.

Enjoy!

No comments: