(If I didn't know any better, I'd say this gal looks rather demure. But I know better, I know better...)
I'm giving away this shirt. I made it in October thinking it would be nice to have a new long sleeved top to wear for my trip to New England. I didn't finish it in time. And when I got back from my trip, I tried it on again and realized that I made a mistake. The pattern is Simplicity 2854 for size 16. But I got into the idea of sewing this with french seams which I thought would be fun. It went fine. The french seams look rad
(Check out those rad french seams!)
Anyways. I just have the buttonholes/buttons to add and when I tried on the top again I realised that I had been sewing the entire thing as though it had 1/4" seam allowance when I'd cut out the pattern for 5/8" seam allowance. So the top is 1/4" too big. I thought I could get away with it, wearing it over another shirt or something, but I think it looks a little silly around the shoulders because it was meant to fit just so.
(Sometimes I think our bedroom looks a little like a cheap motel room.)
I thought about ripping the whole thing apart and cutting and re-sewing it with the proper attention to the seam allowance+my desire for french seams but dammitall. Here it is now January and I still haven't gotten around to it. I'm sort of over it now.
So. And so. If you would like to have a cute top for free, leave me a comment with your email address and I'll pick a name out of a hat (assuming that anyone reads this blog and is interested in a free top without buttons or buttonholes). And if you are one of my friends and you want this top tell me and of course you get first dibs. Sorry folks. I don't think my friends read this blog. Or are of the size to be able to wear this top. But in the off chance that they do and they are, I think it's only fair that they get first dibs.
(Here, I am rolling my eyes at my attempts at a edgy photoshoot.)
The fabric is 100% cotton navy with white polka dots from the big box store's cotton quilting section. It's a leetle stiff, but I think it's because it just needs another wash or so. I washed the fabric three times and ironed it before I started in on the project so there shouldn't be any shrinkage issues. It's been hanging on my dressform all this time so it's collected a bit of dust. I'll give it a good wash before I mail it off to you. It is missing buttons and buttonholes, so you'll need to add those yourself. The front features pintucks along the bodice with slight gathers under the bust. The sleeves bell a little at the wrist with gathers all around. The back is plain (no gathers or tucks). I added a contrasting aqua bias tape trim to the inside of the collar which I thought was a cute touch. You can see a little of it in the second photo.