Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I woo with ribs.

I was craving Korean style short ribs. I made this once for m on his birthday years ago when we first started dating. It was his birthday. I think cooking this meal for him sealed the deal on the success of our romance. M is definitely a man whose heart can be got through his stomach.

I can't believe I haven't cooked this again since. It's been (holy freak-out!) eight years since I last made these ribs. Tsk, tsk.

Searching around on the internet, I cobbled together the following recipe for the ribs I served tonight. The sides came out a little mediocre*, but the ribs more than made up for it. It's such an easy and delicious dish I'll definitely be making it again.


Braised Korean Short-Ribs
5 tbsp sugar
1 cup of soy sauce
2 tbsp mirin (I used vermouth)
5 cloves of garlic minced
1 medium onion chopped into slivers fajita-style
2 tbsp sesame oil
1tsp cracked red pepper
3 lbs of short ribs with the sides scored

(I forgot to get the following but would include in the future)
toasted sesame seeds
green onions with the white parts halved and then the whole thing cut into 2" pieces

Mix all the first ingredients in a large pot and let marinate for several hours (up to 24 hours, but for at lease 1) turning every once in awhile to make sure the marinade gets nice and soaked into the meat. Put the pot on the stove and add some water so that the liquid comes to halfway/ three-quarters of the way to the top of the meat. Put the heat on high and when the liquid comes to a boil turn down to low and let simmer for 2 hours. Tilt the pot and skim off the fat adding the sesame seeds and green onions. Serve over steamed rice.



*That soup wasn't one of the mediocre sides. It kicked ass. Just good old fashioned Korean kelp soup - if you grew up in a Korean household, that is. Do searches for Korean seaweed soup (also called mee-yeok guk or me-yeok gook) and you'll find a bevy of recipes.

No comments: