Thursday, August 13, 2009

leftie

I've been noticing that the baby seems to hang out mostly on the left side of my belly. So we've been calling her leftie. Oh and I started referring to the baby as "she" about 3 weeks ago. I can't explain this. It's totally random.

M and I went in for my 18 week ultrasound earlier this week. It's the one where we get to find out if leftie is a girl or a boy. I guess many important things occur at this point (not just the genitals development) because the ultrasound tech was very thorough in measuring lots of stuff. Leftie's spine, the length of her legs and arms, checking the hemispheres of her brain, peeking at her other organs, etc. Leftie was doing great and growing and developing just as she ought to for 18 weeks.

And after the ultrasound tech completed her checklist she asked us if we wanted to know the sex of the baby. Yes! We're always excited to get more info about the baby.



Turns out leftie is a girl after all. M and I would have been happy with either boy or girl but like I said, it's nice to know more about the baby.

It's hard to see from this ultrasound photo but she's got long legs (just like her daddy). And during the ultrasound she was awake and very wiggly. Lots of movements with her limbs and the rest of her body. I can't feel these yet but it was thrilling to see.

I guess this is usually the last time we get to see leftie on the big screen (so to speak) if the rest of the pregnancy goes normally. Though the ultrasound technician did say that my doctor prefers to have one last ultrasound at 30 weeks even with healthy pregnancies. This is good because I love being able to see her and the times in between the ultrasounds, you just feel like you don't know. Then again, I guess there will be kicking to look forward to. (Out of context that sounds weird.)


Me, leftie and the och.