Monday, October 31, 2011


leftie's minimalist Halloween costume (you can't see her tail here and she'd refused the mask)


easily the best costume at the parade

We took leftie to a neighborhood Halloween event yesterday. It's the annual Pumpkin Stroll. I wasn't sure if I'd still be pregnant with jr. or not so I was a little underprepared for Halloween. Leftie's still a little young to understand what all the fuss is about so I didn't feel badly about it. Also, I wasn't sure how she'd feel about getting in a costume so I kept it simple with some kitty cat ears and a tail.

I had some childhood flashbacks with this kitty costume remembering how the whole effect gets a little diminished when you have to bundle up covering up nearly all the costume. Or how you have a great costume but then you only have sneakers to wear which, again, ruins the effect. My plan had been to dress leftie head to toe in black and add the ears and tail and a mask I made her to kitty it up. Sadly the temperatures dropped considerably with a crazy nor'easter that hit our area. We got about 3 inches of snow the night before! So instead she wore lots of layers and even my scarf when I realized that her wool jacket wasn't keeping her warm enough for the parade.

I was super into Halloween as a kid dreaming up costume ideas as early as May (much to my mother's dismay). I lost my enthusiasm for it after college and never really got back into it. I can feel the Halloween crazy settling into me again though. Walking home from the Pumpkin Stroll yesterday I thought about next year's Halloween and how I'd better get started early if I wanted our costumes to look as cool as I was envisioning them. Yes, I plan to participate next year. Happy Halloween!

No comments: