Wednesday, May 3, 2006

my morning ritual

Lately I have been on this oatmeal kick. Oatmeal for breakfast that is. I bought a big tin of the McCann’s oatmeal from Trader Joe’s admittedly for the tin. I’ve gone through one tin already and a second one is sitting in my cupboards ready to join it’s empty sister, any day now. But the oatmeal I have for breakfast every day is just plain ole Quaker Instant Oatmeal in Maple & Brown Sugar. We get it in the office with an assortment of other snacks. And though I found it to be a little too sweet at first, I’ve kind of gotten used to it. I’ve been mixing in Trader Joe’s dried blueberries in it while munching on roasted unsalted almonds. With a cuppa Celestial Seasonings Devonshire English Breakfast tea, I really enjoy my breakfasts at the office while getting started and reading emails. The Celestial Seasonings tea is cool in that the tea bag tab always has an enlightening quote printed on it from some cool dead person. Earlier it was Ghandi (I neglected to read the full quote before I tossed out the remains of my morning cuppa) and this afternoon I am enjoying another cup with a quote from Sojourner Truth who says:

It is the mind that makes the body.

I wish my mind would make my body a few pounds lighter. It would be nice to fit into the clothes that my thinner body purchased way back when.

Oh hey, the tea packet itself also has a quote. This one from William Wordsworth:

The best portion of a good man’s life: His little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love.

Well that’s nice. A little cheesy, but still… nice. Makes me think of fortune cookies. And I like fortune cookies.

Speaking of fortune cookies and tea, I’ve recently stumbled on this Amazing (aren’t they all?) weight loss claim from a tea called Wu Long. It’s suppose to simply melt the pounds away!!! And of course, it is a highly prized tea that is in limited supply and cannot be ordered anywhere else except at their website. Clearly these folks underestimate the powers of Google and eBay. Upon further researching, I have discovered that this amazing limited supply tea is just the same ordinary Oolong tea that I have enjoyed many times in the past. It’s also known as Chinese Restaurant tea. Sometimes sold in boxes at asian grocery stores with that name because that’s the tea they serve at most Chinese restaurants. So much for their limited supply.

As for their magical weight loss claims, I must point out to their credit that those servers at Chinese restaurants are all pretty skinny. But I am not inclined to believe it has anything to do with the tea.

No comments: