Sunday, May 6, 2007

weekend fun and more fabric

The weekend pretty was fun. M was a little under the weather on Saturday and I didn't end up going to S. Pasadena High School's spring production of West Side Story after all. Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing Donna. I can't really remember what I did on Saturday. I think I spent most of the day working on the birthday gift and then another trip to the fabric store for the mother's day gift I've yet to start.

Today M and I went to Redondo Beach to walk at the beach we call "Dolphin Beach." We call it that because, well, we saw dolphins while on a walk there once. They were out in full force again today and it was cool to see so many folks just stopped in the middle of their beaching activities, all facing the horizon squinting in the setting sunlight. I know we've all seen dolphins before, maybe even jumping around in the water at play. But probably on t.v., right? Seeing them there from the beach leaping out of the ocean into tight little arcs just grazing the water - it's AMAZING! Truly breathtaking.

Before the beach, M sweetly suggested that we stop at The Cotton Shop in Redondo Beach (I love this man). We used to live just down the street from this place and I didn't take full advantage of it back then (probably because I didn't have a sewing machine at the time). Now that we live a good 20 miles away, I never get to browse here. This store is so cool! I had to be careful and not spend too much time there because I could seriously go crazy. Their selection is just beautiful. And they have the best and most varied trims I have ever seen under one roof (except perhaps at Michael Levine's, but that's a whole 'nother story). The buyer has excellent taste! The only bad thing is that I have become so accustomed to the bargain prices at JoAnn's that this lovely little local shop's prices seem exorbitant. I have to remind myself that their inventory is filled with high quality items and that their prices match this quality. Just hurts the wallet a litte, you know?

The nice lady who cut my fabric for me told me that the shop has been around since 1959 and the current owner (he who purchases the fabric with such excellent taste) took over the business from his father. That's nice. You don't see too many family businesses still going strong these days. Most local fabric shops have been gobbled up by big chains. And with the Fashion District in the same metro area, I wouldn't have thought that smaller local shops could survive against their bargain pricing and myriad of selection.

Anyways, walking through The Cotton Shop made me realize how wrong the fabric that I purchased from JoAnn's was for the mother's day gift I planned. So I picked up some prettier fabric instead. Had to. And then some polka dot jersey for a quick little halter dress and some pretty printed fabric for an A-line skirt. These are presents for me. I have a birthday just around the corner (both corners if you want to look at it that way) so I didn't feel too guilty indulging. It's too late in the day for photos, I'll take photographs of the fabric when it's lighter out and post later.

And now, off to bed for this kid. I am pooped!

No comments: