Friday, November 13, 2009

plain-janes



(Trying something new: blogging via flickr. Let's see how this goes... I can't figure out how to make the photo bigger so I gave up. Grrrr...)

Did I mention that I knit a pair of gloves?

I started these last Friday while waiting for dinner to be done. A pleasant way to spend a quiet Friday night on the couch with m, watching reruns of The Office (the American version), a kitty or two tucked in between us.

I was done with one glove by the time we went to bed. How awesome is that?? I love you worsted weight yarn.

For now they are functional and pretty in a plain-jane sort of way. I have some thoughts to embroider the backs with a yellow snowflake inspired by something I saw in an old issue of Martha Stewart Living.

The best thing about knitting your own gloves is that you can get them to fit just so. Seems I have kinda big hands and long fingers. Most gloves do okay on the hand-fit but the fingers are always pathetic. Kind of like when you wear tights and the crotch hangs down between your thighs? The finger-crotches of my gloves always hung out lower than they ought to have. But with handknit gloves, no more!

I'll leave you with that thought.

(Ravelry deets here.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is finger crotch interchangeable with fingerpit?

I knit up my first pair of gloves last year, worsted weight on size 3 needles YES! I'm never going back to army surplus wool gloves for biking. That's a promise.

jean said...

Fingerpits sounds better than finger-crotch.

Isn't worsted weight the best? Although... I am considering mittens on the latvian/norwegian/colorwork level for my next hand wardrobe addition.