Friday, December 4, 2009

amy's salmon

Last night I made Amy's Salmon for dinner. Damn it was good.

(hers was prettier)

I have a confession to make. I'm not really a fan of salmon. I don't know if you read this Amy, but I hope you won't be upset by this reveal. Especially since I'll follow it up by saying that I've only enjoyed salmon twice that I can remember in my life. Once was with Jenn and NIL at a charming place (despite it's odd name) called By Th' Bucket. And the other time was at Amy and Ian's home when we stopped by for a visit during our cross country move. Amy made dinner for us one of the nights we stayed with them and served us this awesome salmon dish. Oh and I think maybe the very first time I tried salmon when my dad brought some home and my mom fried it up in oil (everything tastes good fried) in a Korean style sort of way and we all ooh'd and aah'd over this amazing fish we'd never tried before. So red! So tasty!

But somewhere in my travels I lost the taste for it. I don't know why that is. Maybe it's because it's offered to frequently on most menus. You never know if the night you order it at that restaurant, it's going to be good. (Similar to our current conundrum with Italian restaurants and our new town. They are everywhere! And you just don't know if the one you pick to try out that night is going to be a good one or not.)

So normally I'm not a fan of salmon. I won't likely order it at a restaurant, but I'll eat it if it's served to me at someone's home. And boy am I glad I did that night at Amy and Ian's. It was so good I asked for the recipe. I've made it before, but I keep forgetting to take photos of it. Until last night.

I served it with steamed rice and a side of sauteed soy bean sprouts Korean style. And a simple spinach salad (just fresh spinach with some ponzu based dressing that I've been obsessing over these days). It was so good that I had it again for lunch today.

Thanks Amy!


Amy’s Salmon
Ingredients:
2 pounds salmon filets, with skin
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pinch ground black pepper
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 tablespoon sesame oil

Directions:
1. Make several shallow slashes in the skinless side of the salmon filets. Place filets skin-side down in a glass baking dish. In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, pepper, onion and sesame oil. Pour the liquid over the salmon, cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3. Remove cover from salmon, and bake in the marinating dish for about 30 minutes, or until fish can be flaked with a fork. Serve salmon over steamed rice, and pour sauce over.

No comments: