Saturday, June 18, 2011


I've discovered a new way of making green beans. I discovered this back last September when vacationing with friends in Ithaca, NY. I saw some green beans at their local organic market and they looked good so I bought a bunch intending to make them up the usual way. I got back to our rental cottage and realized that I was short a few key ingredients so I improvised. What a yummy serendipity! M prefers this new method and I've only made them this way a few times so I'll probably stick to this new method for a while longer. Can't wait till the beans in our garden make their appearance.

Jean's Green Beans

1 lb of fresh green beans trimmed of their ends and cut (if desired) into 1"-2" pieces
1 TBSP of unsalted butter
1 clove of garlic crushed

1/2 pint of cherry tomatoes quartered or 1 medium ripe tomato chopped
1/2 tsp of dried oregano

Add the first three ingredients to a pan sautee on medium high heat until the garlic gets nice and rendered. Add the tomatoes and continue to stir until the tomatoes cook down. Add the oregano, stir and cover pan for a few minutes. Keep cooking covered until the beans are tender (about 10-15 minutes). Serve and enjoy!

NB: I usually trim and rinse my vegetables before I cook them so there is always a bit of water clinging to them when I add them to the pan. If you've bought pre-prepped veggies or did the work yourself and the beans are dry, add a tablespoon or two of water to the pan so that the beans and garlic don't burn.

No comments: